Week 19 - Michael Thomas
For the 19th week of "7 QUESTION SUNDAY" we shine the spotlight on Pacific Northwest resident, Husband, Music Therapist, Grad Student, Tacoman, & Harry Potter Fan, Michael Thomas.
4EVRGRN: Hey Michael, tell us a little about yourself.
DO: I'm from Tacoma, WA! I'm originally from Michigan, but moved to the PNW a little over 5 years ago. I lived in Seattle before moving to Tacoma to start married life with my husband, Kent. I'm currently working on my Expecto Tacoma! Instagram page, which is essentially a mashup of Harry Potter and Tacoma. The page highlights Tacoma history, locales, and architecture, with the overall mission of finding magic in the City of Destiny. (If you could put a link to my Instagram page, that would be awesome!)
Here's how Michael answered our 7 questions...
1. What makes the PNW unique? Literally everything. The mountains, the Puget Sound, the supportive and active communities, the local businesses, the food, and all the amazing people I've had the pleasure of meeting. The first time I visited (age 10), I knew that I wanted to live here. It was like nowhere I had ever been.
2. Where’s your favorite escape in the PNW? Vashon Island. Just a 15-minute ferry ride from Tacoma and you're on vacation! It has a ton to offer... a great downtown, great places to bike, good food, and stunning scenery.
3. Best meal in the PNW? This is a tough question, so I'll go with my most frequented. My husband and I love going to Cook's Tavern and Brewer's Row on 26th and Alder in Tacoma. Nestled into a residential neighborhood, Cook's offers a rotating menu and amazing brunch/breakfast. Brewer's Row is an awesome place for a burrito and offers tons of beer options. We love that we can walk there!
4. What’s the one thing anyone who visits must see or do? Probably Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. You can literally get lost in this massive park. It offers stunning views of the Cascades, the Puget Sound, and the Narrows Bridge. It's a great place to bike or relax at the beach. The old growth trees are probably my favorite part of the park. You kind of feel suspended in time when you're there. The air is fresh, the greens are lush, and it revitalizes the spirit.
5. What do you miss most when you’re outside the PNW? Hands down, the mountains. There's nothing like seeing Mt. Rainier on a crystal clear day.
6. Favorite PNW activity? I love taking bike rides! Some of my favorite places are Point Defiance, the Sumner Link Trail, the Tacoma Waterfront and Ruston Way. Plus, Tacoma is a super bike-able city. I love how easy it is to get around.
7. Best local product? My favorite thing (other than Harry Potter) is ice cream. So, my favorite local products have to be the ice cream from Ice Cream Social and Bliss Creamery in Tacoma. I love supporting local businesses, and these two places offer a quality product. Also, both businesses are fantastic community partners and care about the city they live in. What's not to love?
If you get a moment you should definitely check Michael out on Instagram @expectotacoma