For the 32nd week of "7 QUESTION SUNDAY" we shine the spotlight on another influential individual from the PNW. She's a home personal trainer and fitnes expert wanting to help change the lives of those she encounters. This is Coach J!
4EVRGRN: Hey Coach J, tell us a little about yourself.
CJ: I am currently residing in the Puyallup area, and I did some growing up in Spanaway. I grew up playing sports and physical activity well into college- Gymnastics, Track, bodybuilding, and long distance hiking. Ultimately I went to school for recreation - to plan and organize fun events and activities. But found a love for teaching fitness and learning about nutrition when I did bodybuilding and taught a weightlifting 101 class to trouble teen girls. Inspiring them to push themselves and find an outlet in life made me realize how much I loved helping people accomplish their goals. So I became a personal trainer and haven’t looked back.
Currently I am working on building my new business of home personal training- traveling to my clients home to provide personal training sessions with equipment and all. I want to provide my clients with the best knowledge and the most convenience. I am reaching out to the community and putting on workshops for clubs and groups about Health and Nutrition. I will also be hosting a Wedding Dress Ready Workshop in the Tacoma area on November 16th (exact location TBA). My goal is to dispel the myths of how hard fitness and nutrition is and provide raw knowledge and truth.
1. What makes the PNW unique? The balance of the city and the outdoors is perfect here, you don’t have to go very far to have some of the best shopping and fun and then immediately to the great outdoors.
2. Where’s your favorite escape in the PNW? A fishman never tells the location of his fishing spot, but I will say that the Gifford Pinchot National Forest has some of the best isolated hikes that I have experienced and some of the best views of the mountain.
3. Best meal in the PNW? My favorite meal is definitely stuffed french toast from Jasons in Puyallup, I’m a sucker for local homie diners.
4. What’s the one thing anyone who visits must see or do? It’s Cliche, but definitely seeing Mount. Rainier up close and personal. There’s nothing like being so close at the base of the mountain looking at all of its glory at Mount Rainier National Park! On a clear day, drive to Paradise and take the Golden Gate Trail, there will be a bit of the crowd but great views of the mountain and surrounding area. Then ditch the crowd at the fork of skyline trail towards Sluiskin Falls (to your right) and follow Skyline back down towards the parking lots - a quick 4 miles or so hike with GREAT views and wildlife.
5. What do you miss most when you’re outside the PNW? The trees, I lived in Missouri for a year and half and despite all of its greenery I missed the good ol’ Pine.
6. Favorite PNW activity? Studio 6 Ballroom has fantastic dance classes and open dance nights! Their instruction is so clear, their music is always great, and the studios overall atmosphere is fun and exciting. If I feel like dancing on a weekend night I skip the clubs and spend the $10 drop in fee for a dance class and all night dancing.
7. Best local product? Swift Industries have fantastic biking camping gear and biking bags. My boyfriend and I love to be adventures, and we aren’t very nice to our gear; so products that hold up and have great function are our best friends.
Thank you to Coach J for sharing with us! Have questions? Want to learn more about Coach J and the services she offers? Follow her on IG @trainingwithjh