Week 33 - Jessica Hopkins
For the 33rd week of "7 QUESTION SUNDAY" we shine the spotlight on another influential individual from the PNW. She’s a Wife, mother and also an 8 year veteran turned coach of the 3 time Legends Cup champion Seattle Mist! This is 4 All Star and 4 time Legends Football League Champion Jessica Hopkins!
4EVRGRN: Hey Jessica, tell us a little about yourself.
JH: I was born in Seattle and grew up in Edmonds until the age of 8 when my Dad’s job transferred my family north to Ferndale, Washington. I lived there until I was 23; attending high school at FHS (home of Jake Locker and Eagles head coach Doug Peterson) and eventually graduating from WWU with a degree in Exercise and Sports Science. After graduating from college and giving birth to my son, I took my first post-college job in Redmond, Washington where I then lived for 15 years. I currently reside in the Everett/Mill Creek area. I’ve been a Personal Trainer and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist for over 16 years at a large health club in Bellevue and my husband is a Software Engineer at Microsoft.
Most people don’t believe when I tell them I have an 18-year-old son. Brayden is currently attending Lake Washington Technical College pursuing a career in Emergency Medical Services/Firefighting.
In my spare time I am an Assistant Coach for the Legend Football League’s Seattle Mist (women’s 7 on 7 arena football league) where I also played as a Wide Receiver and Free Safety for 8 seasons. I also enjoy playing basketball, volleyball, weightlifting, traveling, trying new burgers and beers and online shopping. 😊
Outside of my full-time job, family obligations and coaching football I recently began a Lifestyle Blog where I focus mostly on Fashion, Beauty and Fitness. It’s been fun navigating the “Social Influencer” realm under this new focus and I’m still a rookie but making some decent progress and having fun in the process.
4EVRGRN: Tell us about some of your accomplishments during your tenure in the LFL!
JH: During my 8 years in the LFL as a player I was a 4x All Star Wide Receiver and Free Safety, an 8-year team Captain, voted in the Top 5 All Time Wide Receivers, won the Commissioner’s Award and was nominated for the Hall of Fame in 2015. I was a part of 3 National Championships (2 for Seattle and 1 for the BC Angels) and was the first player turned Coach to win a Championship in 2019; bringing the ring total to 4!
Here's How Jessica answered our 7 questions...
1. Best PNW childhood memory? My favorite childhood memory of the PNW would have to be going to visit my Grandparents on Whidbey Island. We would take the ferry from Edmonds which is such thrill when you are little. My grandparents, originally from England, had a home in Freeland up on the bluff; which was a quick 5-minute walk down a steep dirt path to the beach. We would spend hours combing the beach for shells, crabs, rocks and marveling over the strange kelp like plants that would wash on shore.
2. Favorite PNW season? Isn’t every season in the PNW great? Ok, maybe not the long, dark months we are about to enter into, but I’d have to say Summer and Fall are my favorite seasons in the PNW. Nothing beats a beautiful sunny day when Mt. Rainier is out and the transition to fall with all the beautiful colors provided by our surroundings has got to be one of the most beautiful places in the country.
3. Wildest PNW experience? My wildest PNW experience was probably in 2014 when I was invited with a Seahawks player to take part in a military training day at JBLM. We got to take part in several activities including an obstacle course, shooting guns in a simulation exercise, we got to watch a military/police dog training demonstration and to top it all off we went on a helicopter ride up to Seattle. We flew directly over Century Link Field and around the Space Needle and then back down to the base. It was incredible and definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity.
4. Best misconception you’ve heard about the PNW? The best misconception I constantly hear about the PNW is that it RAINS ALL THE TIME. I think it’s our best kept secret that it doesn’t rain ALL THE TIME. I love when you have friend or family member visit for the first time and it’s beautiful and sunny and they are shocked it’s not gray and raining like we are always depicted. I’m sitting here on my couch typing this out with a bright blue sunny sky outside my window in late October.
5. One thing you want the world to know about the PNW? It’s beautiful and there is so much to do! We have the ocean, tons of lakes and rivers, mountains and even a desert! You can enjoy everything from hiking, camping and fishing to boating, skiing and snowshoeing. We get to enjoy four seasons throughout the year but none that are extreme like in most areas of the country. In addition to all the nature you can experience here we also have so many other things to enjoy like numerous Seattle sporting events, the opera, concerts, museums, wine tours, beer and music festivals.
6. Favorite random PNW fact? My favorite random PNW fact is that apparently, it’s a felony to harass a Sasquatch, AKA Bigfoot, and illegal to kill one.
7. One thing every PNWer does that you refuse to do? Want to know how to tell a true PNWer to someone who moved here from somewhere else? If they don’t use an umbrella they are probably truly from the PNW. I have one in my car, but you won’t see me using it. 😊
Want to know more about Jessica? Here’s how you can follow along with her:
Facebook: Pursuit of Hoppiness or Seattle Mist Jessica Hopkins LFL
Amazon Storefront: www.amazon.com/shop/jhop5